Tuesday, January 14, 2020

Is It Reality, For Real?



            The other day I was sitting at Einstein Brother’s Bagels having a quick breakfast before my doctor’s appointment and I noticed a mother and son duo that piqued my interest.  At first glance, they appeared to be a run-of-the-mill Hispanic mother in her early 30s with a son around 13.  I only noticed them because the son had walked away from the counter where his mother was ordering to peruse the drink options.  When they were apparently out of the bagel he wanted, they had the conversation of choosing a new bagel flavor, while yelling at each other across the restaurant, neither of them feeling the need to walk closer to the other.  They fortuitously sat at the table next to mine, which allowed me to literally transcribe their conversation.
            Once they got their food, the son began talking and his side of the conversation was so much like a bad reality show that I surreptitiously looked around for a camera crew.
            Son: “Are you tired?”
            Mother: “Yeah.”
            “Is it because you’re worried about your brother?”
            “Yeah.”
            “Are you worried he might not have changed like he said?  That your love for him will only hurt you again?  That your belief in him is not helping him?
            “Yeah.”
            “I’m worried about you.  You don’t enough sleep and then you get clumsy and we both know how Dad gets when you get clumsy.  How he gets angry at you and it makes you sad and then you don’t get enough sleep.”
            “Yeah.”
            They stop talking for a few minutes so the son can take a breath and eat, and I find myself staring at his food trying to figure out what it is.  Like any narrator worth his salt, he describes his custom order which is a smoked salmon and cream cheese on a chocolate chip bagel with BBQ chips as an additional layer.
            Son: “You’d think those flavors wouldn’t work together but they do.  You get your salty and you get your sweet.”
            Mother: “Yeah?”
            “Definitely.  I’ve tried different ones.  Pretzel was too salty.  Pumpkin was the best, but they didn’t have it, which was what you told me earlier when I was looking at the drinks.  Remember, I had to find out what drinks there were to make sure they had something that you liked because I wanted you to enjoy your meal.  Our meal.  Our time together.  I really do enjoy our time together.”
            “Yeah.”
            “Do you worry when I’m not around?  When I’m gone to school?  Do you worry about me like grandma?  Here’s a text from grandma.  Let’s read it together.”
           
            At this point, I realized I was going to be late for my appointment, so I had to leave them behind.  I don’t know if this young man thinks that’s how people talk to each other because he thinks reality TV is actual reality or he was pretending that he was on a show in case he ever gets cast on a reality show or if it was actually a show and the cameraman was really great at camouflaging himself.  Either way, if you see me on TV at some point, and I appear to be furiously writing in my notebook, you can rest assured that I am writing down everything the people next to me are saying.  I’ve got to practice just in case I get my own reality show.
          Can I get an Amen, y'all?


No comments:

Post a Comment