Sunday, August 5, 2018

Career Geography, Part 4 (Almost Done, I Swear)


One of the things I’ve been most proud of working for the VA (Department of Veterans Affairs) is that our veterans have access to the most cutting-edge technology in the world.  There are many partnerships with research entities like DARPA and Rory Cooper and his cadre of geniuses at Brown University.  Oftentimes when the most advanced technology is released to the public, Prosthetics in the VA is the only customer as Medicare and private insurance companies are slow to respond.  If it’s approved by the FDA, the VA will provide it for veterans. A perfect example is the iBot, the wheelchair that climbs stairs. 

DEKA is a research and development founded by Dean Kamen, who invented the Segway, while trying to create the technology for this wheelchair that would raise the user to eye-level as well as help them maneuver up a flight of stairsIt became available on the market in 2005 at a cost of $25,000.  The VA was the main customer as Medicare only covered 20% of the cost.  I refer to DEKA as a brain hive in New Hampshire.  The people working there are so smart you can hear a faint buzzing sound whenever you are in their midst.  You may know them as the people who created the gleaming silver skeleton of the bad guy in Terminator 2.

I know all this as I visited their main office when they were demonstrating their latest artificial arm technology.  My boss in DC, Fred Downs, is an arm amputee.  Even though there had been many developments in technology for artificial limbs, it was mostly with legs as arm amputees (especially from the Vietnam era) were less frequent, as most of the time a battlefield explosion that would take someone’s arm would also kill them.  As the body armor technology advanced, more and more arm amputees survived their injuries and the technology needed to catch up to that of legs.

DEKA was doing phenomenal things and had created an artificial arm that could be raised above shoulder level, a task previously unachievable.  It could also allow the user to grasp a bottle or can (without crushing it) and bring it to their lips to drink, another task we take for granted that was previously unavailable to the target audience. As Mr. Downs is a very well-known gentleman-about-DC, serving as the National Director of Prosthetics for the VA for more than 20 years and having written several novels and appeared both before Congress and in many movies and TV shows, Mr. Kamen asked him to demonstrate their latest achievement on an episode of 60 Minutes to be filmed at their offices less than 30 minutes from my office at the VA.  How could I not attend?

During my time in New England, a new Deputy had been hired in the Prosthetics office where I used to work; Dr. Billie Jane Randolph.  She had been one of the important people who had seen my presentation about success we had been experiencing in our region.  She asked if I would meet them in New Hampshire, so we could talk about possibly creating a program based on my work.  We converged on the DEKA offices and were immediately told by the 60 Minutes producer that as we had not been cleared to appear on camera, we had to ensure that we avoided being filmed.  After 15 minutes of dodging a very busy cameraman, we decided to withdraw to the employee kitchen to eat and get to know each other. 

Just like Jackie, I was immediately enthralled as BJ and I clicked.  She was from the boonies of Kentucky but had risen through the ranks of the Army and serving as George W Bush’s physical therapist in the White House.  Armed with a PhD in Education, she was a force of nature, so when she asked me to come to DC to create an education-based review and audit program I was unable to say no.    So, in February 2009, I temporarily returned to my old job for what was to be a 90-day detail. 

Once there, I jumped in with both feet, creating an auditing tool, selecting and training team members from across the agency and planning weekly visits to all 153 VA hospitals over the course of three years.  We had ranked each facility’s Prosthetic Service based on our national metrics and started with the lower performers as they needed the most assistance.  Unlike other federal audits, ours was education based, meaning if we found a deficiency, we would immediately halt the audit and have a training session with all staff, followed by a meeting with the leadership to show them how we had found the deficiencies and how to proactively address them in the future. 

As the end of the 90 days neared, I was asked to extend another 30 days to lead the first two audits as a demonstration of how they should be accomplished; Tuscaloosa, Alabama and Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania were selected, and the training commenced.  Over the next two years, my detail was extended in 30-day increments while our teams conducted audits at facilities, ranging from Alaska to Puerto Rico, Hawaii to Maryland and many states in between.  The plan was to complete an audit at every location, but after we had completed our 53rd trip, we were asked to take a step back, review our findings and develop a national conference, sharing what we had learned, both areas of consistent concern as well as Best Practices.  We used this conference in Boston to highlight some of the best performing sites we had found, including San Diego and Fresno, California as well as Boise, Idaho. 

One of the locations I had personally audited was Palo Alto, California, one of the largest and most complex VAs in the country.  It was one of five Polytrauma Level One sites, which was the first stop in the VA for any veteran discharged with a significant injury such as spinal cord injuries, amputations, traumatic brain injuries and visual impairments.  The five were in disparate parts of the country to ensure proper triaging before being sent to their home facility.  Due to this designation and the integral piece Prosthetics plays in returning veterans to as close to normal function as is possible in their homes, these facilities (Richmond, Virginia; Tampa, Florida; Minneapolis, Minnesota; San Antonio, Texas; and Palo Alto) should have a stellar Prosthetic Service.                While there is no such thing as a perfect program, there were significant issues in Palo Alto and after my report was shared with facility leadership, I promised I would find them the right leader to take them to the level where they should be.  I tried to find the person with the right mix of subject matter expertise and leadership skills.  I reached out to those I felt would be successful, but most were unwilling to move for family or career reasons.  I couldn’t fault them for that.  I realized I knew of only one person who was both the perfect fit and a gypsy at heart; me.  I asked me if I was interested and, lo and behold, I was.  
             
               In June 2011, I packed up my life and drove across our great land, almost literally from sea to shining sea with my best friend Christopher and a 2006 Dodge Charger crammed to capacity with clothes, books and other belongings I didn’t trust the movers to deliver unscathed.

If you had told me, even six months before, that I would be living in California at any point in my future, I would have thought you were crazy, yet here I was.  Welcome to Silicon Valley, home to 15-year-old millionaire tech nerds, weirdly aggressive hippies, astonishingly over-priced tract homes and the trust fund babies of Stanford, the only university I know of with Louis Vuitton and Tiffany’s retail stores on its campus.  How would I fit in? 

No comments:

Post a Comment